Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

DIY Kitchen Menu

So what started off as me trying to make my daughter a magnetic chalkboard, which was a major FAIL, ended up being turned into a large menu for our kitchen. I wanted to make the chalkboard without using a sheet of metal because I was concerned about the sharp edges and how I would cover them, so I chose to try out magnetic paint by Rustoleum. It worked horribly! Now I had this huge board sitting around and no idea on what to do with it. It wasn't until we started planning our meals for two weeks (for our money saving budget planning) that I thought to use it the way we do now.

What you'll need:
1 piece of wood board-pick one out that's smooth with little dimples
1 long piece of trim cut to frame board
Chalkboard paint
1 small roller
Foam roller sponges
Gorilla glue
Small paint liner
Small paint bucket
Paint brush
Paint for the trim- I used left over cream colored paint
News paper or plastic to protect surface
Wall mounts
Brackets to attach for hanging


Using foam roller paint on chalkboard paint- follow instructions on your brand of paint. I used Rustoleum brand and painted on 2 coats. At this time also paint the trim pieces. Let all painted items dry for 2-3 days before gluing trim to board


After all paint thoroughly dries, take a damp towel and run it along the part of the trim that is going to be attached to the board. Then run a small thin line of gorilla glue down the length of the trim. Don't use too much! Gorilla Glue expands A LOT!


Once all pieces are laid where they need to be, apply pressure to trim to help seal the glue. You can buy clamps or do what I did and lay heavy objects on it till it dries, which takes a few hours. After glue dries you can now add the hanging brackets to the back of the board.


Here is the finished product right after and in use! We love the personality it adds to our kitchen and the ease it brings to deciding on dinner!







No comments:

Post a Comment